June 22, 2018 update: The contest is now closed. Congratulations to all of our winners and thank you to everyone who shared their videos!
We want to share with the world what it’s like to be a SMUS student – through your eyes and your phone! We’re asking Senior School students to shoot video of both the simple, everyday moments and the big, momentous moments that you experience with friends and teachers over the last few weeks of this school year.
There are five $50 Amazon gift cards up for grabs for Senior School students (currently in Grades 9-12 through the end of the 2017-18 school year) who enter the contest by 11:59:59 pm PDT on Thursday, June 21. Winners will be selected at random (see below for further entry details).
The Best School Year Ever contest will run again in the fall, and we want to integrate some student-shot selfie videos into the official video campaign. This is where you come in! You can capture life at SMUS (on- and off-campus) better than anyone else.
Here are a few suggestions for the types of videos we’re looking for:
- Doing fun things with your friends on- and off-campus
- Your favourite place on campus
- Your boarding experience
- Experiential trips and out-trips
- Your experience at Islands, provincials or nationals
- Working on a project
- Finishing your last exam or handing in your last assignment
- Getting ready for the graduation ceremony
- During the grad cap toss
- Celebrating graduation with friends
- Saying goodbye to your friends/teachers/houseparents
Please only use your phone to take video when it’s appropriate and allowed. If you’re not sure, ask a teacher, staff member or houseparent!
How to Upload/Enter the Contest
- Create a new folder in your SMUS Google Drive account with your name and grade
- Upload your videos (maximum of your 10 best videos!)
- Share the folder (or each video) with firstname.lastname@example.org
- You’ll receive one contest entry for each video you submit (to a maximum of 10 entries). The more you enter, the greater your chances of winning! The five winners will be selected at random.
When you share your videos and enter the contest you are giving permission for St. Michaels University School to use your video in future campaigns and promotions.
- Use your phone – preferably not a video camera or DSLR!
- ALWAYS shoot in landscape/horizontal mode (not vertical like you would for an Instagram story or Snapchat)
- Have subjects face towards a natural light source
- If you’re speaking, make sure you’re close enough to the camera to hear your voice clearly
- Shoot in high resolution directly from your phone’s camera app
- If you shot video earlier in the school year that you like, you are welcome to submit that, too!
- Don’t edit your video
If you have questions about the contest or have trouble entering, please send us an email.