Broadmead Care, a home for seniors, is looking for volunteers. The next orientation will be at the end of March or early April so you will need to be able to volunteer through the summer. If you are not here in the summer you can apply again in September. They need help with:
– Sunday morning Hymn Sing program from 10-noon
– Saturday morning games and activities from 10-noon
– Gift shop on Sundays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
– Happy Hour program on Saturdays and Sundays from 2:15-3:45 pm
They also have openings in their Music and Memory program. This unique program individualizes music for residents by creating a playlist based on the music they enjoyed earlier in life and listening to that music through their own iPod. Volunteers will build bonds with residents using the Music and Memory program as a tool.
For more information or to apply, please contact Kelly at [email protected]
Volunteer Victoria needs youth to join the Canada 150 Youth Advisory Committee. It is a steering committee that will plan and lead 12 events throughout 2017 to commemorate Canada’s 150th Birthday. The events will be selected by the committee as this is an initiative for youth, by youth, with youth. The initiative is intended to foster engagement and provide leadership and project management opportunities. Each youth will receive volunteer management training, to better prepare them for the projects they will be undertaking.
The next meeting is going to be a Volunteer Management Training workshop on Saturday, March 11, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in downtown Victoria (location TBD). For more information or to reserve a spot, please email Mbaka at [email protected].
Esquimalt Recreation is looking for an assistant instructor for their Thursday evening Kids Glee Club. The ideal volunteer enjoys working with kids 4-14 years old, enjoys singing and dancing, and works well in a lively environment. The volunteer shift is Thursdays from 5:15-8:15 p.m. from April 6 to June 22.
Volunteer duties include:
• Assisting the instructor with all tasks related to providing Glee Club activities including co-teaching choreographed dance sequences, assisting students and providing encouragement, engaging in games and fostering a supporting environment for participants
• Greeting students and assisting with any equipment set-up/breakdown
• Communicating with the instructor and delivering information to parents and students
The volunteer will be expected to be punctual, appropriately dressed, and able to spend the shift electronics-free.
To apply, please contact Gillian at [email protected] or 250-412-8532.
The Hepatitis C Education and Prevention Society is a non-profit organization run by and for people infected and/or affected by hepatitis C (HCV).
They are looking for motivated volunteers to assist with:
– office and administrative duties
– organizing and promoting events
– doing outreach work at information tables
– assisting with the distribution of pamphlets
– article writing and editing for their website blog and social media
– translating educational materials into various languages
– interpreting at information tables
– folding ribbon and pinning to info card (great job to do while watching TV!)
Their Victoria office is located at 20-1139 Yates St. If you would like more information or are interested please call 250-595-3892 or e-mail [email protected].
Island Sexual Health is looking for volunteers to be part of YISH (Youth of Island Sexual Health). This committee is responsible for meeting to discuss issues, new projects and ideas for making healthy sexuality more youth-friendly. They have worked on a poster campaign, safer sex package designs and have recently launched a new youth website.
They meet approximately once a month, and more frequently when there is a project at hand. But this is a flexible committee so there is always room to work around your schedule! They are looking for youth to sit on the committee on a long-term basis, but will work around those that can only commit on a project basis.
For more information contact Vickie at [email protected].