Licensed clinical social worker and psychotherapist Lynn Lyons returned (by popular demand!) to SMUS during Brain Awareness Week this week to talk about building emotionally healthy kids in the 21st century. Drawing on her book Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents: 7 Ways to Stop the Worry Cycle and Raise Courageous & Independent Children, and the companion book for kids, Playing with Anxiety: Casey’s Guide for Teens and Kids, Ms. Lyons addressed how to break the generational cycle of worry in families.
With a focus on real scenarios and strategies, Lynn looked at ways we can teach our children to:
- handle the uncertainty of life
- be more ﬂexible (malleability!)
- problem solve (vs. ruminate)
- tolerate (and normalize) discomfort
- externalize/react differently to thoughts
- learn by doing, failing and succeeding