Broadmead Care is looking for volunteers to help in their Library. This position is for people aged 14 and up.
CLIENT GROUP: Seniors in residential care experiencing dementia and other complex health challenges
POSITION: Library Volunteer
GOAL OF THIS VOLUNTEER ROLE: Help maintain Broadmead Care Society resource libraries for the enjoyment of residents
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Keep the libraries tidy and neat.
- Sort through donated books and redistribute duplicates.
- Stamp new books with “property of The Lodge at Broadmead” stamp.
- Distribute and pick up books, periodicals and magazines from residents.
- Distribute and rotate reading material throughout the lodges and outside the Gift Shop.
- Liaise with the Coordinator of Volunteer Services regarding new books to be purchased.
- Liaise with the Victoria Public Library book sale representative regarding possible donation of large print books.
- Remove from the collection books which belong to the Victoria Public Library.
- Socialize and converse with the residents.
- Record your visit in the volunteer sign in book and wear your identification badge.
- Notify the Coordinator of Volunteer Services if you are unable to maintain your assignment.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Interest in books
- Good organizational skills
- Able to push library carts
- Desire to learn and develop new skills
- Willing to receive and give honest feedback and adjust actions accordingly
- Friendly and sociable
- Patient and respectful
- Punctual and consistent
- Flexible and able to address issues as they arise and decide when to get help
- Knowledge of the elderly and their physical and cognitive limitations
- Ability to communicate effectively with all sorts of people
TIME COMMITMENT: Flexible to suit volunteer; approximately 2 shifts a month