Broadmead Care is looking for volunteers to help with Happy Hour. This position is for people aged 14 and up.
Happy Hour (Tea and Coffee Service) volunteers make moments matter by supporting residents to retain their abilities, celebrate successes, foster hope and promote social involvement.
CLIENT GROUP: Seniors in residential care experiencing dementia and other complex health challenges
POSITION: Happy Hour (Tea and Coffee Service) Volunteer
TIME COMMITMENT: Daily from 2:15pm-3:15pm
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Pick up the tea trolleys from the kitchen
- Always use Food Safe Practices. Wash your hands before serving refreshments and do not handle cups by the rim
- Welcome residents to the Oak Room and assist them to find a place to sit
- Scan the room for residents with dietary restrictions before you begin serving. Dietary changes happen frequently so never make assumptions
- Serve refreshments to residents and guests in The Oak Room from 2:30-3:30pm. Begin serving only after the Activity Worker responsible for dispensing the tea and coffee is in the room.
- Socialise with residents and join them for a complimentary soft drink or cup of tea or coffee if time permits
- Remove dirty dishes and garbage, and wipe tables where guests are served.
- Return all food, dirty dishes and tea trolleys to the kitchen promptly at 3:15 PM
- Return to the Oak Room to assist staff with portering residents back to their rooms.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Able to remember people’s names and, faces
- Strong customer service and detail focus
- Good balance, sight, and coordination to be able to push tea carts, wheelchairs, and deliver hot drinks safely
- Able to speak clearly and hear in a busy and noisy environment
- Desire to learn and develop new skills
- Willing to receive and give honest feedback and adjust actions accordingly
- Friendly and sociable
- Patient and respectful
- Punctual and consistent
- Flexible and able to address issues as they arise and decide when to get help
- Knowledge of older adults and their physical and cognitive limitations
- Ability to communicate effectively