Broadmead Care is looking for volunteers to help with evening nourishment. This position is for people aged 14 and up.
Evening Nourishment volunteers make moments matter by supporting residents to retain their abilities, celebrate successes, foster hope, promote social involvement, and form a connection across generations.
CLIENT GROUP: Seniors in residential care experiencing dementia and other complex health challenges.
POSITION: Evening Nourishment Volunteer – nightly from 7:00 – 8:00 pm.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inform the Health Care Worker serving refreshments of when you arrive and when you leave the Lodge
- Assist staff in serving refreshments to the residents. Serve nourishments only with a staff member present
- Take direction from staff regarding residents with special dietary concerns or potential behaviour risks
- Feeding is the responsibility of Resident Care staff, not the volunteer.
- Converse and socialise with residents while serving refreshments
- After completing nourishment service, discuss with the Lodge Nurse which resident(s) would benefit from a longer visit. If there was a resident who requested a visit from you, ask the Lodge Nurse if it is appropriate before you visit
- Always check with the Lodge Nurse before interacting alone with a resident
- Report any unusual incidents or behaviours immediately
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong customer service focus
- Good balance and coordination to be able to push nourishment cart, wheelchairs, and deliver hot drinks safely
- Desire to learn and develop new skills
- Willing to receive and give honest feedback and adjust actions accordingly
- Friendly and sociable
- Patient and respectful
- Punctual and consistent
- Flexible and able to address issues as they arise and decide when to get help
- Knowledge of the older adults and their physical and cognitive limitations
- Ability to communicate effectively