Global Village Store is a non-profit, volunteer-operated gift shop selling beautiful hand-made crafts, teas and coffees from fair trade co-operatives around the world. Fair Trade is an important way to support people of developing nations to make a fair living and become self-sustaining. Since 1988, the Store has helped create employment for impoverished craftspeople in over 40 producer groups in Africa, Asia and Latin America, providing an outlet where they can sell their goods for a fair price. An additional benefit is that Victorians with a conscience are offered a unique shopping experience.
There are currently 35 people on the list of volunteers who usually work one four hour shift per week. When added up, this amounts to approximately 5800 hours volunteered per year! The store offers volunteers (and customers) a calm and happy atmosphere. There are volunteers who have been with the store for the whole 27 years, others for just a few months. Volunteers range in age from 16 to 91 years of age.
Duties of Sales Representatives
- create a warm and welcoming environment for customers.
- greet customers and provide them with information about Fair Trade and the Global Village Store
- answer questions regarding the merchandise and the producers
- assist customers in finding suitable products
- general tidying and cleaning (sweeping and dusting) in the store when required
- stocking shelves
- operate the cash register to process sales, make change and handle cash
- operate a debit machine to process sales
- pricing stock
- counting float
- bank deposits
- store opening and closing
- answer the phone
The store is located at 527 Pandora Avenue in Market Square.
Contact: Suzann Albion