May 27: Athletics Week in Review

Senior Rugby BC AA 8831

Senior Boys Rugby

The 1st XV started the BC AA Tournament on May 24 with an opening round game played at Brentwood College, versus Frances Kelsey.

It certainly was not an auspicious beginning, with the Mill Bay-based opponents opening strongly and dominating proceedings through direct, abrasive rugby to lead 5-0 after 19 minutes. Indeed, the margin could have been more, but for some desperate last ditch SMUS defence led by flanker David Boroto and centre Max Pollen.

Eventually however, a try by captain Zach Kahn settled nerves and the Blue Jags never looked back. Three more long-distance scores — in a four-minute purple patch immediately before half time — extended the lead to 26-5.

The second half featured more of the same, with tries for both Angus and Liam Catto adding to another by Kahn. Mitchell Newman notched his own brace, while winger Owen Sudul celebrated his return from an ankle injury to not only touch down but add six well-struck conversions for good measure.

To their credit, Frances Kelsey battled to the end and scored a popular and well-received intercept try to bring the final score to 47-12.

With the victory, SMUS moves into the quarterfinals May 28 in Abbotsford against Fraser Valley champion DW Poppy. The tournament semifinals and finals are then set for May 29 and 31.

Follow all the action on the BC Schools website.
See more photos of the First XV vs. Frances Kelsey at the SMUS Photo Gallery.

Junior Boys Rugby

At the Junior boys level, SMUS began the Island Tournament in good form, knocking back Brentwood 36-22 in the quarterfinals. However, eventual champion Oak Bay proved too strong in the next round, registering a 29-7 win.

The subsequent bronze medal game was an opportunity for SMUS to gain some revenge for the extra time loss to Claremont in the city semifinal. A bright start saw the Blue Jags up 12-0 before then surrendering two long distance scores. Undeterred, the team — with flankers Josh Graffi and Myles Duncan leading the way — recovered nicely to go back in front 24-14.

Yet, still up 24-19, with only minutes to play and camped on the Spartans line, SMUS fell victim to an unfortunate intercept try, with the Claremont winger running the length of the field to score under the posts.

Now down two points, SMUS swept back on the attack and nearly stole back the game. However, a penalty award ended the threat, as Claremont cleared to touch for a 26-24 victory.

SMUS finishes the season on May 27 with a road trip to Vancouver and a match versus St. George’s.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here