Soccer: Junior & Senior

The Junior boys, despite bowing to league leaders Oak Bay, still finished third in the league and will open City playoffs October 16 vs Stelly’s.

Senior Boys Developmental
The Senior boys developmental team started slowly in its home league match vs St. Andrew’s, conceding an early goal and then, following a defensive miscue, another shortly after. The players then steadied themselves and, towards the end, carried play and created some chances. However, the visitors were able to maintain a clean sheet in a 2-0 win.

Back from Thanksgiving, SMUS then played away to Spectrum. Saeed Shokoya, arriving at the match direct from the airport, crossed smartly in the opening minutes for Matt Shin to head home. The hosts tied things at 1-1, before Shin struck again to put the Blue Jags back in front. Then, late on, with the score now 2-2, Shokoya stabbed home the decider. John Throne and Brady Thorne played well in the back four, with David Boroto a workhorse in midfield. Chris Lee and Jeremy Chan ran strongly up front.

Senior Boys Soccer
For the SMUS soccer squad, it was not the happiest 10-day period, with SMUS knocked off its perch atop the Tier 1 league table.

First, in a hugely entertaining affair that could so easily have finished 5-5, the Blue Jags fell 1-0 at GNS. A home goal midway through the first half somehow stood up as the winner, but not before SMUS hit the post and/or crossbar four times and twice blazed over the bar from point blank range. When the Gryphons’ goalie brilliantly saved a Michael Cernucan header in the final minute, it was clearly not meant to be. GNS certainly had some scoring chances of its own, but Aidan McCleary and Bryce Fenton made some fine stops.

Next came a 1-1 home draw vs Reynolds. Despite their edge in territory and possession, SMUS found itself down a goal late in the contest after a world class 20m volley from the Roadrunners’ right winger. Fortunately, Kieran Large, deservedly rewarded for his tireless work in midfield, then converted from the penalty spot to claim a valuable point.

Returning from Thanksgiving break and without injured midfielders Matty McColl and Gavin Maxwell, SMUS played a disjointed opening half against Lambrick Park, going down two goals. While Mike Edwards cut the deficit in half with fifteen minutes to play, subsequent glorious chances were not converted, with the Blue Jags suffering a costly 2-1 defeat.

An October 17 game vs Oak Bay completes the league schedule. With local, Island and hopefully BC playoffs looming on the horizon, SMUS simply must find a way to convert more of its scoring opportunities. Hopefully, the frustrations of the past two weeks will be replaced by a glut of goals come November.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here