The Violet Richardson Award is a recognition program for young women ages 14-17 engaged in volunteer action within their communities or schools.
The Violet Richardson Award is given to young women whose volunteer activities make the community and world a better place. The award is in honor of the president of the first Soroptimist club, Violet Richardson, a woman of action, whose indomitable spirit and sense of personal responsibility were demonstrated by her lifelong commitment to volunteering in her community.
All awards are given for activities conducted on a volunteer basis. Volunteer projects can include, but are not limited to, projects that address social problems such as homelessness, violence, drug abuse, unemployment, illiteracy, discrimination, AIDS, and pollution. Projects may assist any group including the elderly, the disabled, and mentally or emotionally challenged groups.
Projects that benefit women or girls are especially valued. Topics can include, but are not limited to mentoring, sexual harassment, sexual decision-making, teen parenting, careers, finances and any other projects that specifically benefit women, young women or girls.
This award is based solely on her volunteer work. This award is an opportunity to honor a girl who might not otherwise receive recognition. She may not be the best student, the best athlete, or the most popular girl in school, but she is committed to making the world a better place.
Who is the Violet Richardson Award Honoree?
- A young woman who is caring, compassionate, creative and most of all committed to making the world a better place.
- A young woman who has demonstrated initiative in both identifying a problem and in trying to solve it.
- A young woman who has had significant and noteworthy accomplishments as a volunteer.
- Applicants must be young women 14 to 17 years of age as of the date of their application submission.
- Applicants must be engaged in volunteer activity.
- Soroptimists, Soroptimist employees and the immediate families of both are ineligible. Previous winners of the award are also ineligible.
To apply for the Violet Richardson Award, please follow the link below to an on line application form.