Athletics Review: December 1, 2011

Senior Boys Soccer
The Senior boys soccer team travelled to Burnaby on a high from a successful Islands’ play-down, finishing second overall. They opened provincial play with a match versus Samuel Robertson, a tight affair that through a Michael Baart goal secured a 1-1 draw. This was the team’s most competitive game as both teams had quality chances to score; defending was sharp to keep the scoring low. The Man of the Match was Sergio Pike for his tactical insights and effective play in the midfield.

The boys’ next game was against DP Todd, with a close scoreline of 2-1 in our favour at the half. The boys came out much sharper and more clinical with their finishing, ending the game as 6-1 victors. Scoring came from Mark Kiggundu with two, Max Gaethje, Rory Brodhurst, Michael Baart, and Zach Santella with singles. Man of the Match was Rory Brodhurst for his tireless work on both ends of the ball; demonstrating effective play in linking up with his teammates.

The third and final group game came against Okanagan Mission who were top of the group and a win was necessary for us to finish first. Unfortunately, we put ourselves on the back foot allowing an early goal and our opponents finished up with two more before halftime. Down 3-0 left the team with a lot to do, however, an early goal by Michael Baart set up by Rory Brodhurst gave the team a lift. Further tactical adjustments meant the boys could mount more pressure; Mauricio Montiel’s free-kick resulted in a nicely taken goal. While a draw would not be enough to qualify the team for the final four, but the boys fought hard to push Okanagan to the final whistle. Man of the Match was Michael Baart for his relentless work and constant working of the opposition’s backline.

The disappointment with the outcome of the match was coupled with dropping down to third place in the group based on our goals against. Playing against local Island opposition Kwalikum for a possible ninth place finish was now at stake. It was an even affair for most of it, but was decided late, with Kwalikum edging SMUS 2-0. Being held scoreless was rare for the team, but not for lack of effort in this match. Man of the Match was Michael Cernucan who played consistently throughout the competition and was a very steady presence in the back, on and off the ball.

The team’s final match was against Hugh Boyd to determine the final rankings in the competition. SMUS came up against a very strong goalkeeper; he kept the team off the scoreboard for most of the match. Late on, Max Gaethje thumped a shot from distance and Keiler Totz slotted home the rebound. However, not enough as Hugh Boyd had put away three goals. Man of the Match was Captain Joe Erlic as he played each game with intensity, commitment and a will to win.

On the whole, the team could of enjoyed a final higher ranking than 12th of 16 teams by their attacking style and competitive play. The success for the team was their qualification for provincials and good form by season’s end. The squad of players came together extremely well with quite the mixed bag come provincials; good contributions from two Grade 9’s and two Grade 10’s, seven solid Grade 11 players, and six determined Grade 12 players. Captains Joe Erlic and Rory Brodhurst were positive with their teammates and worked hard for the team, setting a good standard. Rory was also recognized at the Provincial tournament as our representative for the Commissioner’s 16, determined as the team’s Most Valuable Player for the season.

Coaches Jon Davidson and Dave Redpath were well pleased with the boys’ efforts, standard of play, and willingness to compete throughout the season.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here