The Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness is hosting an event called Coalition Connect For Families on Saturday, April 30th from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
Families will be able to access haircuts, acupuncture, medical and dental consultations and more. Each will receive a gift bag of necessities that many of us take for granted: toothbrushes, toothpaste, diapers, baby wipes, shampoo and more.
They are looking for volunteers to help out with various tasks:
MEET AND GREET involves:
· welcoming people to the event;
· letting them know the services available and where to find them;
· circulating to talk (e.g., chatting with folks waiting in line for a service) and answering questions.
SERVICE PROVIDER ASSISTANCE involves:
· checking with service providers frequently to see if they need help with anything;
· managing the flow of people waiting for information/help (this could mean keeping a waitlist);
· running errands for service providers;
· covering a table if the service provider needs to take a break.
SURVEY COMPLETION involves:
· completing brief voluntary surveys with participants, volunteers, and service providers to help with future event planning.
FOOD SERVICE involves:
· keeping the food service area tidy;
· keeping an eye on condiments to make sure they’re not running out;
· helping out as requested by those preparing lunch.
DISTRIBUTION OF FAMILY PACKS involves:
· giving Family Packs to those passing through in line;
· helping people select non-generic items to add to their packs;
· recording family group size to gather information on attendance (by asking people the number in their family group).
Parking is very limited at the Native Friendship Centre. Assistance will be need to direct people to appropriate parking locations. This task will be rotated among volunteers at hourly intervals.
People will be needed to watch the children while their parents are enjoying some of the services, like getting their hair cut!
There will be two Volunteer shifts: 8:00am – 12:00pm, and 12:00pm – 4:00pm.
Please contact Deborah Nilsen at [email protected] for more information or to sign up.