Well, after two months in the University Counselling office, I have had the opportunity to sit in on many university presentations. Most visits are a whirlwind tour of application deadlines, testing requirements, academic programs, extracurricular opportunities, and scholarship/financial aid information. But here are a few interesting tidbits I have absorbed along the way:
- Both Chris Martin and Ghandi went to University College London
- Smith College has a “Crap-apella” group: unaccompanied warbling opportunity for the bad singer
- George Washington U is located in the area known as “Foggy Bottom”
- St George’s College, University of London is in an area called “Tooting”
- the city of Cardiff has both free bicycles and free buses in the city centre
- the University of Puget Sound has produced the highest number of Peace Corps volunteers for a school their size
- most American schools say that the interview is optional, but a higher percentage of students who do the interview are successful
- you can study the wild west at Whitman for an entire term, off-campus
- the cut-off to get into Science at UBC last year was 89%. 89%!
- School of Oriental and African Studies, better know as SOAS (pronounced phonetically), is about so much more than the “Orient” and Africa
- Chapman is “down the road” from Disneyland. Space mountain, anyone?
How are YOU going to pick where to go?