Athletics Review: April 20, 2008

Senior Boys Rugby
The Senior boys rugby teams faced the highly-skilled Canberra Grammar School from Australia. The 2nd XV faced an uphill battle right from the start as Canberra’s speed and experience proved too much for them. However, in the final 20 minutes the two opposing teams combined players and played some spirited rugby.

An extremely strong opening was enough to seal the victory for the 1st XV as they clung to a 12-5 lead. The team’s defense remains impressive and they hope to reduce their penalty count.

The next game is on Tuesday at home against Shawnigan at 3:45 pm for the 2nd XV. The first XV will kick-off at 5:00 pm.

Spring Break Rugby and Girls Field Hockey Australian Tour
On March 16, 24 rugby players and 12 field hockey players left for Australia for a 20-day tour “down under.”

In Brisbane the boys were up against one of the top high school rugby programmes on the east coast and suffered a heavy loss but certainly learned a bit about playing the game with some pace. The girls, however, were more successful with a very creditable 2-2 result against the Queensland State Champions from last season, Moreton Bay College, and then the following day beating All Hallows School 2-1.

From Brisbane, the group travelled to Surfers Paradise for the Easter weekend. Regular training for both teams was supplemented with a healthy dose of sunbathing and surfing lessons not to mention a superb SMUS lifesaving Olympics! Before leaving for Newcastle the teams faced off against Helensvale Rugby Club and the Labrador Hockey Club. The boys managed to squeak out a win thanks to a stolen scrum feed leading to a Sam Skulsky try on the last play of the game while the girls suffered their only loss of the tour to an extremely skilful U-17 team.

The next stop was ten hours away to the south in Newcastle where the group was hosted by Merewether High School. This time, both teams were successful in their respective matches and the boys in particular were starting to come into some good form. The next day the teams travelled to Orange on the other side of the Blue Mountains. The group stopped twice in this farming area. At Kinross Wolaroi the boys had perhaps their best 40 minutes of the tour but it was not enough to stave off a very talented Kinross team while the girls, led by Henriette Comichau, came back strongly in an exciting game to tie 3-3 in front of the local TV cameras. At All Saints College in Bathurst, both teams won with relative ease with Janine Hsu scoring a remarkable 5 goals in the 8-0 win for the girls.

The team’s second match of the season was an exhibition against the Oak Bay B squad and all the players showed good performances. The team will prepare for a very busy week with matches against Lambrick, GNS and Esquimalt, along with two exhibition matches against Claremont and Oak Bay Rec.

On Tuesday afternoon the golf team travelled to Arbutus Ridge to play in the Spring Warm-Up Tournament. With weather conditions far from being spring-like, the team did not play as well as expected. The team hopes weather and the scores will improve as the season progresses.

Track and Field
The team had their second meet of the season at UVic. From a jumping standpoint, Imran Ismail and Tony Chuang had excellent results. On the track, Justin Leung and Curtis Smith performed very well in the 1500m.

The next meet is on Thursday at UVic.

Senior Girls Soccer
This was a busy week for the Senior Girls Soccer team. On Monday the girls faced St. Margaret’s at the UVic turf. In a great game Lauren Kipp was able to assist a goal made by Charmaine Niewerth. The final score was 1-0.

In a game against the reigning AA Provincial Champions, Lambrick Park, the girls didn’t adjust to the pace quickly enough and Lambrick scored two goals within the first 10 minutes. The team kept the game at 2-0 until early into the second half when Lambrick scored a third goal. One final goal for Lambrick late in the game brought the final score to 4-0. The girls played extremely well overall. A few notable players were Olivia deGoede who was kept very busy in goal, Nikki van der Wal who cleared a ball off the goal line, and Emily Prager who made tackle after tackle.

On Thursday the team played Victoria High School and easily won 5-0. Goal scorers were Lauren Kipp (2), Sam Dark (2) and Kelsey Harbord (1).

On the weekend the girls played in the UVic Umbro Spring Classic soccer tournament. The team won the first game against Windsor from North Vancouver. This was an evenly-matched, fast-paced game. Kelsey Harbord was the lone scorer in a 1-0 win. In the second game against a very strong team from South Kamloops, SMUS lost 5-1. Finishing second in the pool the team faced Lambrick Park in a cross-over game. The girls were in top form and they won 1-0 on a goal by Sam Dark.

In another game against Kamloops, the team started the match in white-out conditions with two inches of snow on the field. After 20 minutes the tournament was abandoned as field conditions were simply too dangerous. Many thanks go to the Junior Girls who filled up the roster for the Senior Girls for the tournament.

Junior Girls A Soccer Team
The Junior Girls A team still hold their undefeated record, winning five games thus far. Last week, the girls faced Lambrick Park at their home field. Lisa Evans quickly buried two goals into the back of the Pride’s net to give the Jags a strong advantage in the first ten minutes of the game. The Jags capitalized this advantage and Laura Simandl and Kelly Adam scored two more goals to bring the game to 4-0 in the first half. The girls let up a bit in the second half, though Shelby Clark had a few close opportunities off her head. Although we did not score in the second half we continued to hold advantage which allowed Maddie Petersen to step into net to allow goalkeeper Kirsten MacLeod some field time.

This week the team faces Stelly’s on Tuesday and Parklands on Thursday. The team will need to win both games to finish as the top ranked position in our pool.

Junior Boys A Soccer Team
This past Monday, the Boys A Soccer Team set off to face Oak Bay. In spite of poor weather conditions the team dominated the first half. The team was rewarded in the first half with the go-ahead goal from one of the co-captains, Kevin Kim. After some nice passing, Kevin weaved the magic on one of his signature runs through a stunned defense and gave SMUS the lead. He ensured the victory with a second goal shortly after.

The next game for the squad will be on Monday, where we host Vic High.

Junior Boys B Soccer Team
The boys began the week with a game against Belmont. Giving up several goals in the first half, the boys nevertheless rallied, with Cameron Metcalfe, William Lo and Goven Sandhu all scoring. Cameron was particularly solid as a key play-maker in the midfield.

On Wednesday, the boys came up against a very strong Claremont team. SMUS was down several goals at the half, but the squad fought back. After several near-misses by Logan McColl, Harrison Chang managed to put SMUS on the board. SMUS grabbed the momentum and seemed poised to score again when the final whistle sounded. James Shaw was particularly tenacious as a midfielder, putting in his best performance by far. In both games the team was ultimately defeated, but showed great heart.

The next two matches are the final games of the regular season and are against St. Andrew’s and Edward Milne.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here